Wednesday, May 28, 2014

What Can I Say About Today?

I have I pulled out my rain jacket for the first time.
I was misled by a local. 
I was able to ask a question and understand the response (mostly) in Portuguese.
I met two very nice supporters of the caminho.
I felt real pain. 

Last night, what with one thing and another, I didn't get to spend my ten minutes with my feet against the wall.  This is a yoga pose that one of my co- workers showed me.  I had been doing it every night and have had no real issues with my feet.  Today, however, they hurt.  I tried doing the pose when I got to the albergue in Caminha, but had trouble holding it for even five minutes.  Never, ever again.  The feet are going up no matter what!

I managed the distance pretty well.  I've started using the timer on the phone to measure my progress.  If there is a turn in 3/10 of a kilometer, set the timer for three minutes and watch for it.  If there is a font in two km the timer is set for 20 minutes.  I was on a long, staight stretch (timer set for two hours) going into Caminha when a guy pulled up on a bike and asked if I was a pilgrim for Santiago.  I said I was and he said I have a stamp for your credential and information on the route ahead.  He got back on his bike and told me he would wait for me in the little chapel up ahead.  His name is Carlos and he has walked the caminho at least 13 times.  He lives on the trail and has his own stamp that he gives to any pilgrim he can find.  He has a Facebook page dedicated to the pictures he has taken of the pilgrims.   He seemed surprised when I said that I already had his Facebook information.  The map I'm using had a marker and Carlos' information with the word sello (Spanish for stamp).  He gave me detailed instructions on getting to the albergue (if the door is locked go to the snack bar around the corner, ask for Paulo, and he will give you the key, only waste time calling the number on the door if Paulo is not available).

I followed his instructions and was trying to get my feet up when the albergue host showed up.  He is another caminho addict.  Both are members of the Viana do Castelo pilgrims association.  I didn't get the name of the second man, but he seemed convinced I would become an serial caminoist.  Anna, the host from last night seemed to think the same thing, too.  Hmmm.

I have it on good authority that today's walk was the prettiest of the whole way, French route included.  There was a medieval bridge-


-and a sign midway up a long slog-


I have about 143 km to go.

1 comment:

  1. totally cool. and I agree with your hosts. you are doing this by yourself in a foreign country. you're half way to being an caminho addict.

    ReplyDelete