Thursday, May 29, 2014

Another 30km Day

Oh, and it was raining, see?

I got pretty good at controlling the rain today.  I put the jacket on and the rain stopped, I took the jacket off and the rain started up again.  One tip for people thinking of doing the camino - stuff your pack full and put water bottles on both sides THEN try to put the rain fly on.  I unloaded and reloaded my pack a few times before I could get the fly to stick, even then it slipped off the top when I put the straps over my shoulders.

Yesterday I had sun during one of my breaks and got my clothes totally dry.  No such luck today.  I am in Valenca, wearing damp clothes, after another 30km day, with a bunch of French, German, and Portuguese pilgrims.  The dorm room stinks!

If you are interested in doing the camino, and then are interested in doing a walk in Portugal, and then are interested in a coastal route I would certainly recommend the last two days -Viana do Castelo to Caminha and Caminha to Valenca.  Even with the rain and the distance it was an incredible walk.


Of course the way didn't go past all the cool stuff.  This tower was a few blocks up hill.

It did pass the entrance to a ritzy hotel outside Vila Nova de Cerviera, a big, locked gate, long driveway, sort of place, then curved around a path right next to it.  There was a gate accessing the place, but it was locked.  I guess damp, sweaty walkers aren't their target clientele.

The path went over a couple of medieval bridges, but the photos didn't really work out.   I've decided that the public laundry, you know, the ones with the stone tubs, are the perfect place for lunch.  They are covered and you can put your feet up.  Here is lunch today -


Sardines, bread and chocolate.  Sorry, pictures of the laundry are on the camera.

I cross into Spain tomorrow.  It is about 118 km to go. I've got one more long day then it is all 20 or so km days until Santiago.

1 comment:

  1. Do you think you can stay mainly dry for the rest of the trip by avoiding the plane?

    ReplyDelete