Friday, May 30, 2014

The Toughest Thing You'll Ever Do

I have heard that chdbirth is the toughest thing you can ever do.   I have also heard that the Camino is the toughest thing you can choose to do.  The difference is that on the Camino you always have an option, excuse maybe, not to continue.  Yesterday a bus stopped for me, today the way went past several taxi stands, in Portugal there was a rail line always close by, in Spain the highway is here.  I made the 16 km to Porrino by 1:30.  There was an albergue right as I hit town.  I stopped in and asked how far it was to the next one.  He said it was seven kilometers and said it was a good choice if I had that much walking left in me.  It would put me a quarter of the way up the only significant hill and it was about what I had done every other day.  I went for it.  

I somehow managed to blister my right heel yesterday and it was really rubbing today.  The cobbles that I learned to enjoy in Portugal are gone, replaced by asfalt.  I went through my water faster today than any other.  I was done.   The guidebook said the albergue was in  town with the Mary Magdelen font.  The village was long and straight.  I reached the water and sat down.  If anyone had come along and offered me a ride at that point there is a very good chance my Camino would have been done.  Instead i took of my boots and socks and held my feet out to air.  The albergue is right across the street from the bar.  Jasmine, a German pilgrim helped translate so I could get my bunk at the albergue paid, then she shared a slice of her torta with me.  The Camino beats you down and builds you back up every day.

The view from the albergue:

The difference between Portugal and Spain:


The fields are both lined with grapes, but are fallow in Spain and planted with crops in Portugal.

The walking is better in Portugal,  but I only have one day experience.  There is still a lot of walking to do around 96 km to go.

2 comments:

  1. Janet, I can't tell you how much I am enjoying following you on your travels. Your writing style and accompanying photos are outstanding. Thanks for doing this for us, your vicarious fellow-travelers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm I can't imagine with both Smith and Phipps genes you might imply you may not be stubborn enough for the Camino. Must have been a very tiring day indeed. Good luck with that blister. It might put a damper on your 35km-45km days.

    ReplyDelete